[SWLUG] FTP and new server help!

Terry John terry.john at bbc.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 10:50:07 UTC 2006

Neil Jones wrote:

>I am having some problems with a new server that I have rented.
>
>I am attempting to ftp to it to no avail kbear gives
>"cannot connect to host" + ip address
>
>attempting
>ftp address
>from the command line on my box here gives
>
>ftp: connect: Connection refused
>
>This leads me to think that FTP is not enabled on the box.
>I can SSH into it.

I think you are right.

"Connection Refused" means that the box is actually receiving the
request. The resquest hasn't been dropped by a firewall (Connection
timed out) or lost on the way, either by no DNS (Name or service not
known) or routing error (Destination host unreachable).

You box is just saying that it is not running any ftp daemon.

Seeif you can start it by hand and if that works check your startup
scripts to make sure it starts after a reboot.

A typical command on RedHat/Fedora would be "service vsftpd start"
although you might want to read up on vsftp to get it configured the way
you want it. The same thing can be done using the command
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/vsftpd start". If you don't have vsftp you may find
wu-ftpd or something like that.

To start it from boot-up, again on RedHat you can use the "chkconfig
vsftp on" command. I don't know if this is on other distributions as
well. But it will do nothing except tell the system to start vsftp on
boot up. To do the same thing by hand you will need to edit or create
the appropriate files in /etc/rc.d. This can be very distribution
specific. You'll need to work it out for yours.

Alternatively on systems not using vsftp, to get FTP running from
start-up there are 2 main options

On older systems you can alternatively edit the file /etc/ined.conf and
uncomment the line that says something like

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l -a

On newer systems that use you can look in /etc/xinitd.d and edit the
appropriate file and look for the line

disable    yes

Change it to say

disable   no

Be careful in all this NOT to enable tftp. It has no security so leaves
you system way too open.

Terry

Hi folks,

I am having some problems with a new server that I have rented.

I am attempting to ftp to it to no avail kbear gives
"cannot connect to host" + ip address

attempting
ftp address
from the command line on my box here gives

ftp: connect: Connection refused

This leads me to think that FTP is not enabled on the box.
I can SSH into it.

I can't find any records of my attempts on the servers logs either, but
I am not entirely sure how to fix it?

Any ideas what is wrong?

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk