[SWLUG] Introduction

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 14:07:27 UTC 2006

Chris M. Jackson wrote:
> When they came to do my install, the engineer connected the various
> boxes to the cable, and left me to do the hookup.
I think this depends on the vibes the engineer gets from the customer.
If they get an "oh my god it's complicated" look they're likely to stick
around, but if, as in your case no doubt, the customer exudes an air of
confidence and "just leave it there, I'll hook it up myself", they
probably will.  AFAIK they're paid per job, so the sooner they can leave
you to it the more jobs they can fit in.
>   Either way, the
> modems do everything in hardware, unlike some of the cheaper ADSL
> modems (*ahem*SpeedTouch*ahem*).

I used to do support for those too.  The early Speedtouch were a menace
with a design flaw that meant they took the *whole* 500mA from the USB
port, which was a sod if the motherboard manufacturer had cut corners
and "creatively obeyed" the standard by sharing the 500mA between the
ports instead of giving them 500mA each (which is the standard IIRC).
Not forgetting iMacs.. USB keyboard and mouse. ADSL modem wants the full
500mA... forget it!

The newer Speedtouch model's redesigned and much better, although if I
was on DSL I'd still go for a router.

Kind regards,

Julian