[SWLUG] linux-friendly internet connectors

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Mon Jan 9 19:57:29 UTC 2006

> Been connecting to the internet via  broadband adsl using speedtouch
> modems configured with the help of Steve Parker's script posted on
> sourceforge. No problems. But then both my speedtouch modems burnt out
> in one week and the only replacement I could find locally in a pinch
> was an "eTec" adsl usb modem that included drivers for Windows on a cd
> but nothing else. Unable to find  much on the Net to help. So now I've
> no choice but to use a Windows OS for internet use.

General wisdom is just to throw away any usb adsl modem unless your
really really REALLY desperate, because they are far more trouble than
they are worth.

With the widely given away devices like the speedtouch (because they are
cheap, and theres a reason theyre cheap..) then enough people have been
desperate enough to manage to bodge together a driver, for anything else
your just making it difficult for yourself.

Just go buy a cheap 'adsl router', they can be had from about 30 or 40
quid and they will connect to your linux system using ethernet, so you
wont have any driver issues, the device will be configured by web
browser, and will do things like DHCP and NAT for you if you want it.