[SWLUG] Apache PHP modules

Peter Bradley apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Jul 3 17:58:57 UTC 2006

Can anyone help with this?

I'm running SuSE 10.0 on AMD Athlon 64 x 2 with Apache 2.0.x and PHP
5.0.4 with MySql 4.1.x

Both Apache and PHP5 run fine in the sense that I can connect to
localhost and get the Apache default page, and I can put a basic php
page in the document root and Apache knows how to deal with it (e.g. I
can run the standard <?php phpinfo(); ?> page).

They were installed via YaST and updated via YOU.  I haven't used
anything else.

I noticed I had a problem when I tried to write a script that connected
to MySql.  PHP reported an error saying it could not find the myql_*()
functions.  On investigation, I found that the apache2 error_log was
full of warnings of the form:

"PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/lib64/php/extensions/xxxx' - /usr/lib64/php/extensions/xxxx:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on
line 0"

... where 'xxxx' represents the module in question, for example, the
warning for mysql read:

"PHP Warning:  PHP Startup: Unable to load dynamic library
'/usr/lib64/php/extensions/mysql' - /usr/lib64/php/extensions/mysql:
cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory in Unknown on
line 0"

In short, not one PHP extension is loading because the required file is
not found.

On investigation, I find that /usr/lib64/php/extensions contains shared
object files (*.so).  The files being reported as not found in the
apache2 error_log appear to be executables that are located in
/usr/lib64/php5/extensions.

Does anyone know if I've diagnosed the problem correctly, and - more
importantly, I guess - how I can solve it?

Many thanks

Peter