[SWLUG] choise of meeting places

Pete Prior swlug at nermal.org
Tue Mar 21 09:55:09 UTC 2006

Morning,

s/choise/choice.

Glasiad wrote:
> I was considering showing up at a SWLUG meeting but since I live about
> halfway between Cardiff and Swansea I was unsure which way to go.
>
> When I checked out the venues it was a no-brainer for me. Swansea.
>
> Why?
>
> Because the Cardiff meeting takes place in what I consider to be the
> Microsoft of UK pubs - Wetherspoons - whereas the Swansea meeting takes
> place in what I presume is a locally owned establishment.

Indeed.  A bigger difference IMHO is the people that attend the
different venues.  Maybe try both and see if you still prefer Swansea ?

> Do I find it a bit odd that supports of open-source (i.e. democratic)
> software have chosen patronise an organisation that is in business
> limiting choice by putting local pub owners out of business? Yes.

Without going into whether you shop at Tescos, or any large supermarket,
buy fuel from any large oil company, or have a BT phoneline, we used to
have the Cardiff ones in a coffee shop next door to Wetherspoons.  We
switched after I proposed to in this email:

http://swlug.org/pipermail/discuss/2005-June/004810.html

You can see the reasons there.

> Even more odd is the question "Can we change the Swansea venue?" in the
> FAQ section of the SWLUG site. No mention of changing venues in Cardiff.

See above.

Pete