[SWLUG] Quietest meeting ever.

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Mar 28 20:16:43 UTC 2006

Ar Mon, Mar 27, 2006 at 10:00:08AM +0100, ysgrifennodd Pete Prior:

> That would be Tuesday 28th March, 7pm onwards...

After an hour of sitting there with an O'Reilly bag, a clipboard
made out of circuit board, and a stupid slogan tshirt, I gave up
and came home.

I think it is clear that the new improved rotating algorithm
experiment has been a complete success in yielding clear-cut results.
Only trouble is the nature of the result. Result in Carmarthen:
attendance down by a half (and that was mostly people not from
the Carmarthen end of things). Result in Swansea: down to, um, one.
I have rarely seen such clear-cut results in any experiment.

I don't think I shall be coming again, so these suggestions
are for other people to think about. But suggestions I have.

First, no-one comes to the Swansea one regularly, and those
who turn up at all all seem capable of reaching either of the
others under their own steam. So drop the Swansea meeting
completely. Frankly, no-one will notice.

Then make the Carmarthen and Cardiff ones independent of each
other, as they used to be. They can still be advertised on the
same site and mailing list, but don't pull them both into an
artificial and complicated rota. Especially when the people who
suggest this rota themselves do not show up any more. The
Carmarthen and Cardiff regulars can set their own dates then,
based on their requirements, but I strongly urge that we forget
this "first a Monday, then a Tuesday" system. As the LUG HOWTO
says, pick a date, make it regular, and stick to it.

If we ever achieve an actual event, along the lines of install days,
lightning talks, and so on, we can discuss dates again. But this
business of random dates for pub meets doesn't seem to be working.

Telsa