[SWLUG] Re:Quietest Meeting Ever

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Thu Mar 30 08:49:09 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 22:57 +0100, Peter Richards wrote:
> One other thought I forgot to mention - do all the meetings have to be
> in Cardiff/Swansea/Carmarthen? Why not the occasional session in
> Bridgend, for example. How scattered is the membership anyway?

They dont, thats just where people arranged them.

If you want anything done, you have to be prepared to drive it yourself,
because appealing to the masses rarely achieves anything except debate.

If you want to see there being a meeting in Bridgend then sure, please
go ahead, find a venue, make any arrangements necessary, then tell us
all about it*

Same applies to special events, like lightning talks, install fests,
etc. Someone needs to push the idea for anything to happen, and thats
usually the person that suggested it.

For the suggestions of radically different style of meetings, eg in
computer rooms, you would probably do best to hold the first one as a
special event outside of the usual schedule, rather than trying to
persuade everyone to switch (someone mentioned the inertia) then if it
works out you're more likely to get support for doing it more regularly.

In summary, dont be put off if some idea you talk about doesnt have
people leaping to do it, thats normal, you have to push harder. :)

* If anyone has events they want adding to the calendar, or other
content for the website, contact me.