[SWLUG] IRC

Chris M. Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 04:25:42 UTC 2006

On 3/31/06, Emyr Derfel <emyr42 at gmail.com> wrote:

> F3. The Cardiff University proxy server blocks IRC traffic.

>From RESLAN, possibly.  If you're in Computer Science you can always
work through their servers.  Fingers crossed you should be able to get
X forwarding working should you want to use something like xchat,
failing that you should (in theory) be able to use ssh and then go
from there.

> So can someone explain:
> 1. Why are we still using a)IRC and b)an email Discussion Server as
> our chosen forms of communication?

Because sysadmins in general tend to be lazy, and these two are
relatively low-maintenance, and reasonably flexible.

> 2. As we have a suitable website, would it not be appropriate to add a
> message board (ie phpBB) to it? Advantages would include searchability
> of topics, reduced cross-talk, less messy quoting, no messages lost in
> the inbox, and so on...

"Worms, 1 can"
Besides the many questions that need answering, they are generally
high-maintenance, which means someone has to look after it.

--
Chris Jackson
Now with enhanced time-wasting capabilities