[SWLUG] IRC

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri Mar 31 08:50:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-31 at 01:07 +0100, Emyr Derfel wrote:
> So can someone explain:
> 1. Why are we still using a)IRC and b)an email Discussion Server as
> our chosen forms of communication?
> 2. As we have a suitable website, would it not be appropriate to add a
> message board (ie phpBB) to it? Advantages would include searchability
> of topics, reduced cross-talk, less messy quoting, no messages lost in
> the inbox, and so on...

a) IRC
because it gives real time communication, no bbs is a replacement, IMs
are very one-to-one, so crap for discussions, and web based talkers have
all sorts of crazy browser requirements or are so crude as to be
unusable.

b) email discussion
they are easy to administer and make secure, they dont require constant
attention, you get sent all new messages without having to go and poke
at a website to get them, and there is an archive you know, with the
articles all threaded for you to go back and look if you want to, come
to think of it, if your email client was any good it would thread the
messages too. and if your quoting is messy then i suggest you get a
better email client, or learn how to use the one you have.