[SWLUG] graphics cards

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Tue May 2 17:24:23 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-02 at 17:22 +0100, nick wrote:
> OK, nvidia aren't that bad. Free driver works OK but doesn't
> support many of the XGL extensions newer games need to run.
>
> The proprietary driver installs pretty easily, and works
> quite smoothly, but has no framebuffer (e.g. pretty penguin
> and decent resolution on console) support.
many of the distributions have given up on that framebuffer boot
sequence thing and start X up as soon as possible to give the pretty
progress meters.

> Basically it's alright but I would have expected something
> else to be better. I guess I'm mistaken.

>From what i hear, and have tried, if you want good 3d performance your
only real choice is NVidia and their supplied driver (its on their
website, easy to use, self installing). its by no means perfect, will
occasionally crash, and needs to be reinstalled with every kernel
update, but its the best youll find at the moment.

ATI also do linux drivers, but i keep hearing of them causing more
problems than the nvidia ones.