[SWLUG] Mandriva 2007 problems, Ubuntu and Dual Boot

Neil Greenwood neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 21:18:03 UTC 2006

On 22/11/06, Marcus Davage <marcus.davage at googlemail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Anyway, I installed Ubuntu 6.0.6 from a magazine DVD onto a spare partition
> (/dev/hdb7 mounted as /ubuntu in Mandriva). [snip]
> I went in to Mandriva, reinstalled lilo, and hey presto,
> Windows is now my default. But I have now lost access to boot into Ubuntu!
>
> My Ubuntu vmlinuz and initrd files are still there on /ubuntu, but how do I
> boot into them? What do I put into my lilo.conf?

Hi Marcus,

If you look in lilo.conf, you will find entries for Windows (probably
on /dev/hda1) and Mandriva. You don't say what partition Mandriva is
on, but it will have a label you recognise.

I can't remember the exact format of lilo.conf (I'm using Ubuntu 6.06
with Grub, as you found out!), but you can copy the Mandriva entries
and change the label and partition to re-enable Ubuntu.

After you've changed lilo.conf, you have to run a command (/sbin/lilo?
I could be wrong here, but the manual page for lilo.conf should tell
you what to do) to update the files in the MBR (in case you don't
know, that's the Master Boot Record, the bit of the disk that lilo and
Grub were fighting over earlier).

Just in case you don't know how to view the manual pages, open a
terminal and type "man <command>", replacing <command> with the
command - or even config file - that you are interested in. E.g. to
see details about the format of lilo.conf, type "man lilo.conf".

Hope this helps.
Hwyl,
Neil.