[SWLUG] KDE 3.4 Login Manager

Stephen Constantinou stephanos at writeme.com
Mon Oct 9 10:14:57 UTC 2006

Dear All

I  have just reinstalled Mandriva 2006.  During installation I set up
this non duel boot computer to default to Linux after ten seconds and
then to automatically log into KDE the only user.  It worked OK.

I got too bold and adventurous from here on.

I wanted to change the "End Sessions" options to include an icon login
for root and the user (whereby I would have clicked an Icon for either
and then entered a password) and buttons to reboot and shutdown.  I
fiddled and made things worse.  Now the only "End Sessions" option I am
presented with is to "End Current Session" or "Cancel".

But worse, now when I restart I do not get automatically logged as a
user and I have to enter the user and password.

I have tried to retrace my steps in Control Center, KDE's Session
Manager and Login Manager.  I have read the KDE Session Manager help
file and the KDE Login Manager Help file.  The later makes references to
options on the Users tab which I cannot find.

"You may disable the user list in kdm entirely in the Show Users
section. You can choose from:
Only show users you have specifically enabled.......
Not hidden.............."

These sound relevant but I cannot find this section and options on the
User tab.  However at this tab I did press defaults.  Though this did
not help.

The printed manual do not cover this subject either.

Any help appreciated

Stephen