[SWLUG] dual homed system problem

Gareth Bowker tgb at tgb.org.uk
Wed Oct 11 09:13:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-10-11 at 09:55 +0100, Cardiff IT Support Ltd wrote:
> hi guys,
>
> the problem i am trying to overcome is that i wanted this server to be
> able to access the internet without going through the existing proxy
> server. so I put another NIC in it and plugged it directly into the
> router.
>
> i cant access the box now but i am going there later so will do so
> then.
>
> just a note, devices attached to the lan do not need to access the net
> through this box. they only need access the box and the box access the
> internet.

At a guess, you've got two default routes set up. You'll most likely
have a default route via your LAN *as well as* a default route set up
for your direct connection.

Take a look at the output from "route -n" - you should get something
like this:

$ route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.0.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Destination 0.0.0.0 is "everything I don't know how to get to". Chances
are there are two default routes set.

Get rid of the default route via the LAN and all should be well.

If that doesn't work, try emailing the output from "route -n" as well as
the relevant output for "ifconfig", that should give us some more clues.

Cheers,

Gareth