[SWLUG] Want a free printer? Two going, in various states of workingness

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Oct 16 15:16:14 UTC 2006

Two printers, this time. Both work fine with Linux (when they work,
that is -- see item 2), and are in the http://www.linuxprinting.org/
database.

First: HP DeskJet 640C. Works still (at least, it ate paper and
burped it out at the appropriate rate when we plugged it in last
week) but it lacks cartridges (they dried up).

Second: HP LaserJet 2300L. Doesn't work for me, but given my history
with hardware and software, this isn't atypical. It used to work, and
it was whizzy-fast. Two problems. First, it needs a good kicki^Wmassage
of something organic to get toner off the roly-bar-thing, apparently.
Second, it also needs to be persuaded to talk to the computer again. It
used to work fine (as in, it printed as instructed, but also created splats
of toner down the middle of the sheet). Then I upgraded and it sulked.
We have ruled out all rational reasons for it to be the upgrade, but
then we changed all the cables and it still wouldn't work. Perhaps it
will like your cables, distro, carpet, or choice of fonts better.

Either (both) free to good home, but you collect, and if the
second one doesn't like your cables or carpet, I'm not taking it back.

Special bonus offer: anyone going to the Carmarthen LUG tomorrow
(17th Oct), if you really want the first one, let me know and I'll
bring it along. I -may- be persuaded to bring the second, but it's a
lot bulkier, and it will involve a large drink to fortify me. And
you had better be there to collect it, because I really don't fancy
bringing it back.

For the benefit of the archives: if you read this after 24th October 2006,
assume they're gone.

Telsa (working her way through Alan's junk again)