[SWLUG] Network backups

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 17:59:48 UTC 2006

Hi,

On 10/09/06, Neil Greenwood <neil.greenwood.lug at gmail.com> wrote:

> sudo is your friend!

that's what I originally thought, and I tried it using sudo, but it started
generating errors when it encountered files that belonged to my
wife. I suspect (but I'm very unsure) that this may have been because
of the write privs. on the target machine?

> To change the users who can run commands, you might be able to use the
> 'User Priviledges' tab on 'Users and Groups' on the System >
> Administration menu. You can definitely change it using the 'visudo'
> command from a terminal. The format of the file is documented at 'man
> sudoers', although I've just simply got the following line at the end
> of the file, where my user is neilg:
>
> neilg   ALL=(ALL) ALL

Thanks for that. On previous versions of Ubuntu, I have simply added the
user to the 'admin' group, and this allowed them sudo privs, but that
doesn't work on the Dapper install I'm using now. Dunno why.

> To summarise, change your command from:
>   rsync -e ssh -varuzP /home bkp_server:/media/data/homebkp
> to:
>   sudo rsync -e ssh -varuzP /home bkp_server:/media/data/homebkp
>
> and it should copy all users' files.

I'll give this another try. Thanks for the pointers.

Regards,

Glenn.