[SWLUG] ide=nodma question

Foeh Mannay swlug at wormtail.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 06:10:44 UTC 2006

Hi,

asura at theexcession.co.uk wrote:
> with an amd x2
> 3800 how much slower will this make my disk access, are there only
> certain types of apps where i would notice a slowdown?

Well, for whatever worth it is for a comparison, I once compiled a
kernel without support for my hard disk controller so it couldn't use
DMA any more. It took *ages* to boot, and a long time to open apps. Also
took a while to compile the kernel again to fix it! That was on an
AMD-K6-2 450 (circa 2000), which was a renownedly rubbish setup and
probably worsened the problem considerably.

If the slowdown is as bad on your system as it was on mine, it will be
quite unbearable.

Isn't there a hdparm flag you can use to disable DMA? I'm sure in the
olden days I used to use hdparm to enable DMA so you'd think the reverse
would be possible. Should give you a feel for the speed of it without
DMA, at least at an application level before you make your mind up what
to do.

Foeh