[SWLUG] which host for web hosting ...?

Chris M. Jackson chriscf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 14:44:45 UTC 2006

On 9/19/06, Richard John <richard.john at gmail.com> wrote:
> I disagree, 1&1 have always been brilliant for me. 100% uptime most of the
> time, fast servers, and the tech support is great.

Sorry, can't agree there.  They had some serious problems with billing.

First, I gave them card details.  Nothing came out.  I checked with my
bank to see if a transaction had been declined, they confirmed it
hadn't even been attempted.

Then, I sent a cheque.  I didn't see it go from my account.  Checked
with the bank to see if it had been returned, they hadn't seen any
trace of it, so I had it stopped.

Finally, I gave them a direct debit mandate, with instructions to take
the payment.  Called up, "yes, we'll take the payment on xx/xx/xx".
Nothing.  Checked with the bank later, the mandate had been received,
but no money had been taken.  Had the bank declined it?  No,
apparently (again) there was nothing for the bank to decline.

Called them up to query, they had no idea why payment hadn't been
taken, I jokingly asked if I could drive down to their office in
Slough with cash, they declined.

So, in summary, I had tried just about every means at my disposal of
paying my bill short of ramming cash down their throat, and each time
it got hung up waiting for someone on their end to press the button.

In the end, I moved away when after all the fuss trying to pay them
they had the balls to suspend my account for non-payment, and now I'm
paying less money for more and better features.

--
Chris Jackson
Now with enhanced time-wasting capabilities