[SWLUG] Network setup for Fedora Core 5

Mark Summerfield mark at qtrac.eu
Mon Sep 25 15:35:23 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've just got a new laptop, a Toshiba A110-233.
I repartitioned the disk and installed Fedora Core 5, but during
installation I didn't have the network cable connected to my router, and
in any case didn't seem to get the network setup screen.

So now I have a machine with FC5 that works fine... but no network.
According to the Windows control panel I have 3 network devices:
- 1394 Net Adaptor
- Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG
- Realtek RTL 8139/810x

Although I use KDE, the network configuration seems to be done with a
GNOME tool, system-config-network. I've added a new device to it, but
when I try to get the network to start I get this:

"device eth0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization"

I've tried with two different device drivers so far,
    RealTek RTL8129
    RTL8139
and had the same problem with both.

Unfortunately I don't know much about sysadmin and nothing really about
networking... when I put FC5 on my desktop machine it all just seemed to
work.

Could anyone give me some advice on this please?

Thanks!

--
Mark Summerfield, Qtrac Ltd., www.qtrac.eu