[SWLUG] Network setup for Fedora Core 5

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Sep 28 08:29:14 UTC 2006

On Thu Sep 28 09:20:43 2006, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> On Monday 25 September 2006 16:35, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just got a new laptop, a Toshiba A110-233.
> > I repartitioned the disk and installed Fedora Core 5, but during
> > installation I didn't have the network cable connected to my
> router, and
> > in any case didn't seem to get the network setup screen.
> [snip]
>
>     Just to follow up. I never did get FC5 to recognise the network.
>     However, I tried a Kubuntu live CD and that detected it with no
>     problem, so I've now installed Kubuntu. The whole process was
>     simple, it detected the network and screen (1280x800)
> automatically
>     and reads/writes USB memory sticks. I haven't tested sound yet.
>
> So now I have two machines, a desktop running FC5 and a laptop with
> Kubuntu, and both using KDE. They're both connected to the same
> router.
> Is there any _easy_ way to let me copy files between them (say with
> ftp?)?

There's approximately a gazillion. (That's proper British gazillions,
not those namby-pamby US ones).

I find the easiest is to use scp, but if I'm transferring a lot, then
I use rsync. Unison is meant to be quite good, I hear, but I've never
tried it.

For general accessing of files over a LAN, rather than copying them,
I use NFS, which takes a bit more setup. I keep meaning to look into
other network filesystems which suit my style of access a bit better,
but I've not yet done so - NFS is "good enough".

I don't use FTP much anymore, and I've not examined how useful WebDAV
might be for this, either.

Of course, this doesn't address options like using a version control
system, which can be extremely useful for many circumstances.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/