[SWLUG] New protest and petition against BBC's Windows-only iPlayer

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Fri Aug 3 13:06:53 UTC 2007

Steve Hill wrote:
> No, exactly the same copyright laws prevent you from doing this.  You can
> no more redistribute a defined file containing the data than you can
> redistribute the contents of the BBC's DVB transports.

Exactly right.. that's why the DVD copyright notice (for example)
specifically prohibits redistribution of the content *in any form*.  The
media isn't the issue, as Steve says it is the Intellectual Property
which copyright safeguards, not the media it is received by - if that
were the case it would equally be legal to copy DVDs onto VHS tapes and
redistribute them, and that of course is not the case.

Having said that, even Bill Gates has gone on record saying DRM is not
up to the job.  That being the case, why on earth are we still stuck
with it?  As others have sadi, DRM assumes guilt of all parties which
undoubtedly has ethical problems.

A thought that just occurred.  British Law guarantees assumption of
innocence *until proven otherwise*.  Is there then not an argument to
say that implementation of DRM which assumes guilt, is illegal in concept?

Kind regards,

Julian