[SWLUG] New protest and petition against BBC's Windows-only iPlayer

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Fri Aug 3 14:36:38 UTC 2007

On Fri, 3 Aug 2007, Ian Hill wrote:

> Certainly not true. The fact that the current systems seem to have
> been poorly designed does not mean that the concept is flawed. It is
> entirely feasible to have an open DRM system.

Would you care to explain how you would construct an open DRM system,
given that with access to the source code you could modify it to do
whatever you want with the clear-text stream.

> You're missing the problem with the RIAA lawsuits. A well designed,
> secure, unique fingerprinting system (I'm not aware that one exists,
> so work with me here and imagine one) that could uniquely identify you
> represents perfectly acceptable evidence for a court. The problem with

You can use the fingerprint to tie a copy to the original download.  For
the original download you know the IP address - you must get a court order
and have the ISP link the IP address with the ISP's subscriber.  ISPs make
mistakes (as the RIAA has found).  Also, even if you correctly identify
the subscriber you cannot prove that the subscriber is the person who
infringed the copyright - maybe it was someone else using the subscriber's
computer, or a piece of malware.

Even if you require the user to enter credentials before starting the
download and record those, how do you know the credentials are legitimate
- they could be stolen.  And even with legitimate credentials, you _still_
can't prove that ther person who downloaded the file was the infringer.
They only downloaded it and stored it on their computer (which is allowed)
- another person, or a piece of malware could then redistribute that file.

> IANAL, but I don't believe this is true. You must be licensed to watch
> someone else's copyrighted material. That's common sense: they have
> it, you don't, you are negotiating with them to provide it to you. If
> you are right and the TV license does not cover VOD, then you need to
> negotiate another license that does. (For the record, I'm not

The TV licence does not give you the right to receive the content - the TV
licence gives you the right to receive broadcast TV (and is required for
*any* broadcast TV, even if you don't watch the BBC).  Your right to
receive the content comes from the fact that the BBC have negotiated
rights to broadcast it to the general public.

Just as you have the right to receive any content over the public radio
channels - it is up to the broadcaster to negotiate the rights to
broadcast to the general public.

In the same way, if you receive content over the web, _you_ do not
inherently have to agree to a licence - you are entitled to receive that
content and it is up to the content publisher to make sure they are
licenced to send it to you.  (Of course, the content publisher can require
you to agree to an EULA before they start to deliver the content by
placing a technical restriction on the delivery system.  The enforcability
of EULAs is questionable, but there's nothing stopping them doing it).

Now, just because you didn't agree to a licence before receiving content
(no matter what technology was used to get the content to you - FM radio,
DVB, CD, DVD, IP, etc), doesn't mean that you have the right to do
whatever you want with the content - you are still bound by copyright and
no licence agreement is required for this.

> convinced you're correct about that one anyway. I'm pretty sure that
> VOD would legally count as a broadcast - in which case a TV license is
> definitely necessary.)

The TV licensing authority have gone on record stating that a TV licence
is required if you are watching content delivered at (more or less) the
same time as a broadcast over traditional means.  Content that is
delivered purely over IP or is significantly time-shifted does not require
a licence.

As much as the TV licensing authority would _like_ to charge a TV licence
to everyone watching YouTube and have been pressuring the government to
allow them to charge any computer owners, this is not currently the case.

--

  - Steve