[SWLUG] Open PVRs [ was petition against BBC's Windows-only iPlayer]

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Sun Aug 5 11:18:35 UTC 2007

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Keith Edmunds wrote:

>> some of us choose to use PVRs that store
>> un-DRM'd files and run a completely Free software stack
>
> This is something I'm very interested in, and I'd like to know what
> people are using, and what the pros and cons of each approach are.

I'll give you a quick run down of what I've got set up:

I have an Athlon XP 2100+ running MythTV and a Sky Minidish with a
quad-LNB.

The MythTV box has a Hauppauge Nova-S-Plus card plugged directly into the
minidish.

I also have a Sky Digibox plugged into the dish.  The MythTV box also has
a Hauppauge WinTV/PCI (BT878) card and this is connected to the Sky box
via an S-Video connection.  The MythTV box uses an infrared transmitter to
control the Sky box.

So all the free to air channels can be received directly through the
Nova-S-Plus card, and the free to air, free to view and subscription
channels can be received (at significantly lower quality) through the Sky
box and software encoded to MPEG4.

The MythTV box is also connected to a infrared receiver and I use a Sky
Navigator remote control to control it (which has a nice full QWERTY
keypad inside it :)

It works reasonably well for me, although if I could ditch the Sky box
from the setup it would save a lot of CPU time and allow higher quality
recordings of non-free-to-air content.

--

  - Steve