[SWLUG] Ubunt-doh!

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:08:47 UTC 2007

> 1. Can anyone recommend a wireless internal card / usb dongle that is cheap
> AND works with ubuntu out of the box (7.04 seems a lot better for this than
> the 6.nn flavours) [as my pc is not next to my router!]

Had you thought of Home Plug, for example:
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm?

I recently bought two sets of these, one for me and one for a client;  i.e.
one for Windows and one for Linux.  They were simplicity itself to set up.
In both cases there was already a functioning hard-wired network.  Set up
entailed plugging them in.  That was it .  Literally.

I got a lot of helpful advice from the Solwise technical help-line, while I
steeled myself for the plunge.  There are theoretically one or two small
gotchas (e.g. surge protectors apparently sometimes cause a problem).  I have
surge protectors at both ends and the connection has not so much as blinked.
Oh - and they are much faster than wireless and less of a security problem.

Solwise is not, of course, the only supplier.  But I know about them because
that is where I got mine.

HTH
Lisi