[SWLUG] Compiling Apache

Terry John terry.john at bbc.co.uk
Thu Jun 7 10:06:54 UTC 2007

Does anyone have experience of compiling apache from source code? I've
done it but I have a problemette.

I've used the latest Apache 2.0 but when I try to run some PHP stuff it
complains about ReGex problems. It appears to be the pcre (Perl
Compatible Regular Expressions) install. Although it is an very new
apache the pcre version is very old (version 3) so newer PHP apps start
to fail.

The standard RedHat httpd installation is pcre version 4 and that's ok.

I'm pretty sure it's not the libphp.so module as that is the same one
for both installations.

I've tried using different pcre source but it usually fails to compile.
I managed to hack the compile once but the resulting exe wouldn't run
:-(

I don't want to use the original RedHat install because there are some
patches that we need to apply here. & I don't want to patch & recompile
the original RedHat code cos I'm scared :-)

I suppose I'm asking if anyone knows what I need to do to get original
pcre code to compile within an existing apache source compilation.

Terry

http://www.bbc.co.uk/