[SWLUG] Compiling Apache

Terry John terry.john at bbc.co.uk
Wed Jun 20 16:44:46 UTC 2007

Sorry I'm a bit late getting back on this, it must have got caught in my
spamscan cleanup. i.e. it was in amoungst a pile of spam & got
accidentally deleted. To cut a long story short I think I've fixed it
now but I'll fill in the rest below in case it's of use to someone else.

I'm not entirely sure what "compiling apache against" a pcre library
means but when I checked the Makefile there was only 1 line that copied
a couple of pcre files. So I renamed those files and symlinked in the
system equivalents and it seems to work

cd /usr/local/newapache/include
mv pcre.h pcreorg.h
mv pcreposix.h pcreposixorg.h
ln -s /usr/include/pcre/pcre.h pcre.h
ln -s /usr/include/pcre/pcreposix.h pcreposix.h

>Terry John wrote:
>> Does anyone have experience of compiling apache from source code?
I've

Jonathan Wright wrote:
>I don't think that PHP would be using the pcre library statically
>compiled into Apache unless it was specifically compiled against it
(and
>then no command-line version used).

Not entirely sure. There was no specific pcre compilation

Jonathan Wright wrote:
>As to the failures, do you have any error messages, or do they just
die.
>Can you run the programs from the command line (you may have more error

>messages that way)?

Just error messages as they occured

Jonathan Wright wrote:
>Both installations are pointing to the same libphp.so or have you
copied
>the library between them?

Just copied the library

Jonathan Wright wrote:
>I take it from this you tried working with --use-prce=DIR (or whatever
>the ./configure command option is)?

Not entirely sure. I did a phpinfo(); and copied the settings from
there.

Jonathan Wright wrote:
>RedHat, et. al., patches tend more to be back-ports of updates to later

>versions. Looking towards stability, not just as a program but for it's

>API's and configuration, later releases which have changes for security

>or stability reasons will be back-ported to the current version rather
>than just releasing the new version.

>httpd-2.0.48-27 means Apache 2.0.48 on it's 27th Patch Level.

Yup, I knew that one :-)

Jonathan Wright wrote:
>What's you reason for trying to compile from source rather than use the

>pre-packaged binary?

Those that are cleverer than me have identified apache bugs that get in
the way of the code we are using. I don't know the details off the top
of my head but fixes have been sent to apache but they haven't been
incorporated in the main distributions yet. I guess they are just low
priority. Until then whenever we power up a new server I just apply the
patches and use that apache instead of the supplied one.

  Jonathan Wright                           jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
                                              http://netwrker.co.uk

  cat /dev/random (you never know, you may see something you like!)

  2.6.20-gentoo-r7-netwrker-b4 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
  up 10 days, 14:01, 1 user, load average: 0.78, 0.51, 0.64

http://www.bbc.co.uk/