[SWLUG] BBC's "iPlayer"

James Edgeworth diagmato at black0ps.com
Thu Jun 28 00:08:32 UTC 2007

Steve Hill wrote:
> It looks like the EC want to give the beeb a kicking over locking people
> into Windows:
>    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6236612.stm
>
> It's interesting that the BBC seem to think that only supporting Windows
> and Mac is "platform agnostic".

Oddly, it wasnt long ago that BBC News 24 did a 20 min slot on Open
Source, and they were pretty positive about it, even going on to say
that it could be the future of software.

Shame they dont (yet) seem to cater for all, but it is early days yet.

In all honesty though, I see their point. As a business, you want your
product to reach as many people as possible - their initial thought in
this case would be to cater for Windows, especially if MS have done
their not exactly uncommon handshakes to give them the
priority/monopoly. I dont know whether BBC have ever said that they will
not be providing to Linux.

(On a side note, they seem to have had a serious problem with Linux
users - blaming us all for someone who wrote a MyDoom virus which
attached SCO in 2004, despite also saying that there is no proof)