[SWLUG] BBC's "iPlayer"

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Jun 28 16:53:36 UTC 2007

On Thu Jun 28 16:42:01 2007, Richard John wrote:
> Channel 4 is not publicly owned - they receive public funding, but
> they are
> not publicly owned!

Pretty sure that the Channel Four Television Corporation is
state-owned, in the same way as the BBC is. It used to be a
subsiduary of the IBA, when that existed. AFAIK, it's not publically
funded at all, however - it gets its funds from advertising and other
ventures, and used to have some kind of weird cross-funding from ITV
(although I think that's stopped).

> Out of interest, are you a direct relation to James Cridland?

That'd be my brother.

I should probably declare a conflict of interest, of sorts, here -
James is starting work for the BBC soonish, with some wonderous job
title such as "Head of Future Music, Audio, and Radio" or something
vaguely similar. But then again, he's not working there yet, and
won't, as far as I know, have much to do with the iPlayer stuff,
which'd be "Future Film, Video, Television" or something equally
inane. At least, I assume so.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at jabber.org
  - http://dave.cridland.net/