[SWLUG] Advice on Wireless networking

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 11 13:07:00 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

I am just looking for any advice. This is the situation.

My main machine runs linux. I use this for nearly everything.

However a web project I am working on requires me to run certain
software to process some data files. The software I am using runs only
on Windows so I have a separate computer for this and for other
operational reasons the computer is a different room. Basically it
grinds away processing data for hours while I use a proper operating
system for most things.

Occasionally I need to transfer files from one computer to another.
Floppy disks are too small and I think the floppy drive on my linux
computer is playing up. I have real hassle with using my mp3 player to
transfer files. ( I think it is a kernel problem and I don't want to
upgrade my system just yet.)

I am considering a wireless network. I have seen cheap devices that use
Bluetooth etc on Ebay.

Does anyone know of any snags doing this? Is it simply just a matter of
plugging things in? The other computer runs Windows 2000.

Neil
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk