[SWLUG] Grub won't boot from second hard disc

Edward Evans eje at edevans.uklinux.net
Sat May 5 21:42:12 UTC 2007

On Sat, 5 May 2007 21:14:28 +0100
"Dick Bain" <dick.bain at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 05/05/07, Edward Evans <eje at edevans.uklinux.net> wrote:
> > Can a Grub expert (or anyone else) help me with this?
>
> not a grub expert but which distro are you using? and can you post us
> the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst

Ubuntu 6.10.

/boot/grub/menu.lst, without the comments, is:

default 0

title	Ubuntu, kernel ...
root	(hd1,1)
kernel	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/hdb2 apm=off
	acpi=off ro quiet splash
initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
quiet
savedefault
boot

title	Ubuntu, kernel ... (recovery mode)
root	(hd1,1)
kernel	/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-10-generic root=/dev/hdb2 apm=off
	acpi=off ro single
initrd	/boot/initrd.img-2.6.17-10-generic
boot

title	Ubuntu, memtest86+
root	(hd1,1)
kernel	/boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet
boot

title	Other operating systems:
root

#  Added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS on /dev/hda2

title	Microsoft Windows
rootnoverify	(hd0,1)
savedefault
chainloader +1

Ubuntu install wrote the original /boot/grub/menu.lst, I had to add the
apm and acpi entries because I found that the install CD wouldn't boot
without them.  I also needed to add rootnoverify in the Windows entry,
but I think that is standard for Windows.  I also copied all
of /boot/grub/ to a floppy, setup grub on it and that works.

Thanks for your interest

Edward