[SWLUG] Notebook recommendations

Jonathan Wright jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
Mon May 14 12:40:15 UTC 2007

Steve Hill wrote:
> I'm looking around for a new notebook and was wondering if anyone had any
> recommendations.  The machine will be running Fedora Core + Beryl,
> preferably with no binary drivers (except firmwares).  I'm looking for
> something around the 500ukp mark with a Conroe (Core 2 Duo) processor (I'm
> interested in a 64 bit machine with virtualisation support), about 1GB
> of RAM and a wide screen monitor.

To make the most of our Beryl, going for the nVidia option would be
better - I know you said preferably no binary drivers, but nVidia
drivers for Linux are by-and-far the best available.

I had an ATI card before this and there was just no comparison between
the driver sets!

In fact, they now come with direct OpenGL support for Compiz/Beryl so
you don't need to run the Xgl server to provide the interface.

I've just enabled it all on mine and it's running beautifully (despite
it being an FX5500, although I'm thinking of upgrading :).

  Jonathan Wright                           jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
                                              http://netwrker.co.uk

  cat /dev/random (you never know, you may see something you like!)

  2.6.20-gentoo-r7-netwrker-b3 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
  up 4 days, 34 min, 1 user, load average: 0.29, 1.05, 1.00