[SWLUG] Linux Distros and/or FreeBSD

Gerald Davies gerald.davies at gmail.com
Wed May 16 15:04:56 UTC 2007

On 16/05/07, Steve Anderson <steve at twindx.com> wrote:

> Just don't try Gentoo. [/me ducks] =)

I'm sure there are a few bsd lurkers on here ;)  (You know who you are
and I do too)

<ramble>

I used to use fbsd as a desktop (with fluxbox) - not sure what to say
really.  I enjoyed it - fixed a few bugs in ports (usb webcams,
widgets, all manner of nonsense.)  Compiling times used to get on my
nerves a bit, but I always left that for overnight jobs, except when
things went pear shaped.  I'm sure other people have different
approaches, but hey, that's life.

However, I'm quite sure gentoo was built with fbsd in mind (ports).
Agreed, it's not exactly user friendly - you have to do a lot of
donkey work to get things up and running IMHO, but I always found it
ran very well on my old hardware in comparison to other OSs.  I'm sure
I also read somewhere that a lot of the WIFI developments on UNIX-like
OSs are down to fbsd development or it was at least further ahead than
linux (don't quote me on that though.  I don't religiously follow
distros anymore.)

I've just recently acquired a new box (with 2 drives) for tinkering...
got me fbsd, nexenta, and dragonflybsd to look at.

I do like ubuntu though.  I know it's popular to say so.  it's nice to
have things "just work", but you do lose some of the satisfaction of
tinkering.

jack of all trades, master of none... ?!?!?! hmmm, all much of a muchness.

</ramble>

2p