[SWLUG] WiFi & Linux

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Fri May 18 00:41:04 UTC 2007

Phillip Evans wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am going wifi in the not too distant future and would appreciate any
> comments on setting this up with Linux. I am currently using Mandriva
> 2007 with no immediate intentions to change.
>
> I have set up several wifi networks for friends using windoze which has
> not been a major problem but how easy is this with Linux ? Do I need to
> use ndiswrapper and how easy (difficult ?)
What modules you need in Linux depends on what chipset the chosen cards
have.  If it is an Atheros chipset you can get away with a native Linux
solution - madwifi.  Other than that, ndiswrapper, which I have not used.

Best suggestion is to decide what kit you want and then google for it,
or alternatively Google for ndiswrappre and see which cards work best.

Kind regards,

Julian