[SWLUG] firewall suggestions?

Matt Willsher matt at monki.org.uk
Sun Apr 6 07:28:10 UTC 2008

On 5 Apr 2008, at 20:15, bascule wrote:
> is there a firewall distro - i currently use ipcop, that can have a
> wireless
> network attached on a separate subnet and throttle bandwidth so that
> i can
> share my net connection with housemates but know that my machines
> have the
> priority, i'm not talking about qos, i mean i wish to limit the total
> bandwidth at all times regardless of traffic type,

pfsense http://www.pfsense.com/ is about the most complete firewall
distro I've found. It supports QoS and multiple subnets (via an
additional network card) and so should do what you're looking for.

Another way of doing what you want with out a seperate subnet would be
to assign your housemates static IPs and throttle them, or assigned
yourself static IPs and throttle the DHCP range.