[SWLUG] Compatability questions

Rich Colquhoun clearnitesky at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Dec 14 16:50:34 UTC 2008

A far as graphics cards are concerned you're best off going with NVIDIA or ATI because they supply Linux specific drivers. Of course, they're not open source drivers... but that depends on whether or not you really care. If you definately want an open source driver then get something with Intel chips. If you're thinking of getting a card with built in graphics then make sure its built into the AGP or PCI-express because if it's just standard PCI then it doesn't matter how good the card is...
As for the motherboard, I think mine is a gigabyte one and I've never had any trouble with compatibiliy. Asus have been doing a lot of work with Linux lately, including their work with splashtop, so they're likely to be fine.

Don't know if that lot was helpful at all....