[SWLUG] Compatability questions

Phillip Evans phillip at phillipevans.mail1.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 01:29:22 UTC 2008

My Thanks to everyone who replied to my queries on motherboards etc,
your comments are well noted. I have heard from other sources that ATI
graphics are better than nvidia. What worried me about gigabyte m'boards
was the comment on the spec sheet about linux compatability was picked
out in red which looked rather ominous.

Having said that, my last computer from the days when a 1 Gb processor
was the dog's whatsits, had a gigabyte m'board and after the original
SiS graphics blew I replaced it with an nvidia card which all worked
fine. I recently installed Mandriva 2009 on it & no problem except a bit
slow.

I will probably go for the Asus option.

Thanks again.