[SWLUG] help with fixing machine

Julian Hall lists at kaotic.co.uk
Mon Feb 11 11:43:21 UTC 2008

P.G. Richardson wrote:
> Neil,
>
> Had a similar problem. Tried adding an internal drive for backing up the
> data off a broken computer but had boot sector and partition problems as a
> consequence. Solved it by buying a hdd drive enclosure.
>
> (http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Drive+Bays/External+%28For+SATA+Drive%29/ICY+BOX++351STUS+Black+HD+Enclosure+?productId=21881)
>
> - Just take out hdd from computer
> - insert into enclosure
> - plug into alternative computer via usb and copy data.
>
> Initially significant cost at £30 but given the amount I have used it and
> will use it then its already paid for itself.
>
> May be of help to you.
>
> PGR
That's a good idea.. you can use an external HD for regular backups too
so you don't get this problem in the future.  Ebuyer do a good aluminium
USB2 enclosure for £11.74 (ex dely) so if you can wait a few days it's a
cheap option.  Actually they do a wide range at god prices.

SATA http://www.ebuyer.com/product/119512
IDE http://www.ebuyer.com/product/120659

Kind regards,

Julian