[SWLUG] S4C use of wmv

Pete Phillips pete at smtl.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 16:10:06 UTC 2008

Hi Peter
    Peter> Thanks for that.  I installed mplayer and the mplayer plugin
    Peter> for Netscape (and kmplayer), but I still get no joy from FF
    Peter> on the S4C site.  When I try to access:

    Peter> mms://s4c.unique-media.tv/s4c_uk/bsm/hsbc_jazz_aberhonddu___catrin_finch_ai0000803d21b8.wmv?sami=http://www.s4c.co.uk/sami/A290559874.smi

    Peter> (because I have a 'thing' about Catrin Finch :) )

    :-)

    Peter> ... I get  this message:

    Peter> "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the
    Peter> protocol (mms) isn't associated with any program"

Pull up an xterm and do this:

 mplayer "mms://s4c.unique-media.tv/s4c_uk/bsm/hsbc_jazz_aberhonddu___catrin_finch_ai0000803d21b8.wmv?sami=http://www.s4c.co.uk/sami/A290559874.smi"

This works for me (Ubuntu Gutsy).

I don't know what type of stream mms is, but mplayer clearly does.

If you want to download the stream to your machine, do this:

mplayer -dumpstream "mms://s4c.unique-media.tv/s4c_uk/bsm/hsbc_jazz_aberhonddu___catrin_finch_ai0000803d21b8.wmv?sami=http://www.s4c.co.uk/sami/A290559874.smi"

You will find a file called stream.dump which mplayer will be able to
play for you.

Note that I have tried this on about 1 minutes worth of this stream -
not the full 48 minutes which mplayer tells me is available.

Good luck.
Pete