[SWLUG] S4C use of wmv

Peter Bradley P.Bradley at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jan 5 22:28:30 UTC 2008

I should really let this go now, but I'm a bit like the final question
on MasterMind.

Having sorted out that it is perfectly possible - even easy - to receive
streaming video from S4C on Linux, I began to look at what S4C
themselves said about the requirements.  Here's what they say:

<quote>
Byddwch angen Chwaraewr Windows Media i wylio fideo ar wefan S4C.
Gallwch ei ddadlwytho yn rhad ac am ddim yma
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/10/default.aspx>
[link to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/10/default.aspx].
Os ydych yn defnyddio Macintosh, mae Microsoft yn darparu Chwaraewr
Windows Media fyny at fersiwn 9 yn unig. Mae gwybodaeth bellach i'w gael
yma
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=windowsmedia>
[link to
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=windowsmedia]
os ydych yn cael problemau.
</quote>

<translate>
You will need Windows Media Player to watch video on the S4C Web site.
You can download it for free [link to
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/10/default.aspx].
If you use a Macintosh, Microsoft supply Windows Media Player up to
version 9 only.  Further information can be obtained here [link to
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=windowsmedia]
if you have any problems
</translate>

Now, to me, the first sentence is just plainly wrong.  You don't need
Windows Media Player.  We proved that last night.  So, am I being
over-sensitive in thinking that S4C should be asked to change what the
say to something like:

<suggest>
You will need a media player that can recognise the mms streaming video
protocol in order to watch video on the S4C Web site.  Some suitable
players for various operating systems are:

Windows:
    Windows Media Player

Mac OS/X
    Windows Media Player

Linux
    Kaffeine
    Xine

You will also have to ensure that your browser knows how to deal with
links using the mms protocol.  Instructions on how this can be achieved
in various browsers can be found at:
    IE6
    IE7
    Firefox
    Opera
    Safari
</suggest>

I'm thinking of communicating something like that (in Welsh, obviously)
to S4C, but I'd be glad of any suggestions, corrections or even
discouragement before I do.  I tend to jump in where angels fear to
tread, sometimes.

Cheers

Peter