[SWLUG] S4C use of wmv

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 6 21:37:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 19:52 +0000, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 13:02 +0000, Tony Pursell wrote:
> > I just wish the same would happen with BBC iPlayer ... but
> > that's a completely different story and has all to do with DRM,
> > etc.
> The BBC iPlayer does now work on linux, go to
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
>
> The DRM ridden download service has been replaced by a youtube style
> flash player based solution.
>
> Its amazing how quickly they were able to do what they should have done
> in the first place instead of wasting time and money on the broken DRM
> download service. It didn't work on XP, I do have XP Pro running on a VM
> under linux, mostly to run Tracklogs and TomTom Home, but the old
> iPlayer just gave me the sound with a series of stills.
>
> Phil

It is great and works well. I watched a programme about the Snow Leopard
on there that I had missed. I only realised it now worked with Linux
today.

Hopefully this is another example of where Digital Restrictions
Management has been shown to be unworkable and unnecessary.
A real nail in its coffin I hope. I don't know why they didn't do this
to start with.

Neil