[SWLUG] UPS recommendations?

Jonathan Wright jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
Sat Jan 12 03:58:41 UTC 2008

Mark Summerfield wrote:
> It came with a CD for Windows (which I don't use) and a cable connecting
> it to a USB port. I've connected it to the USB but I don't know if there
> is any point in doing so---does anyone know if Linux can communicate
> with a UPS?

IIRC, you need to enable HID Devices, with USB HID and Force feedback
support (not sure about the raw HID stuff either).

Depending on your distro, you may need to probe a few modules to get it
to spring into life. Then, just installed apcupsd to monitor the UPS and
it will run commands on certain events (such as switch on/off of mains
and battery levels).

--
Jonathan Wright

  e: jonathan at netwrker.co.uk
  w: http://netwrker.co.uk/

  cat /dev/random
   » you never know, you may see something you like!

  (sent from home...)