[SWLUG] Swansea meet (was: Carmarthen meeting reminder - TONIGHT)

Neil Jones neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 16 10:34:33 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 18:08 +0000, Andrew Price wrote:
> On 15/01/08 11:56, Steve Hill wrote:
> > The Swansea meet hasn't happened for a while (due to lack of attendance) -
> > out of interest, can we have a show of hands as to how many Swansea people
> > are interested in reviving it?  <raises hand>
>
> <extends paw>
>
> I've not been to a LUG meeting yet. Maybe we could persuade a couple of
> the other, more Linux-enthusiastic SUCS guys to tag along too.
>
> --
> Andy Price
> http://andrewprice.me.uk

I'd be interested in restarting the Swansea meetings. After some moving
around we settled on the No Sign Wine Bar in Wind Street. It is a
reasonable venue. Unlike most of the pubs on that street it is still a
fairly traditional pub not a discoing binging boozers den. It has food
which is OK. ( I don't recommend the "Pasta of Paris" though :-) ) Most
importantly it isn't far from the railway station and is usually free of
background music.

Numbers dropped off so we stopped the meetings. If we are going to
suggest nights I'd immediately suggest avoiding Friday nights. Aside
from the problems with Wind Street  being so wild at the end of the week
that they have to block off the road and stop the traffic, there are
differences in the train timetable which make it problematic for some
people coming from the east. ( I actually live in Neath)

I also suggest avoiding Monday nights. I am not available on the first
second or third Mondays and I know that there is another regular
attender who is not available on the first.

Wednesdays are no good for me either.

On the general subject of meetings. We really should be organising
things like talks and some linux advocacy like other LUGS do.

All it really takes is for someone to say. Right then there is a meeting
in Swansea and announce it.

On the general subject of meetings, we really should be organising
things like talks and some linux advocacy like other LUGS do.

Neil Jones
Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk