[SWLUG] SWLUG Carmarthen Meeting Reminder

Dafydd Walters dafydd at walters-home.net
Mon Jan 21 20:15:32 UTC 2008

Chris M. Jackson wrote:
> I suspect an off-by-one with the cron job  ...

I've now fixed the automated reminder script. Hopefully it won't fail
like that again.

It turned out that my script was checking for the day the reminder email
gets sent (i.e. the day before the meeting) instead of the day of the
meeting itself. For example, for the Carmarthen meeting, instead of
checking for 3rd Tuesday, and sending the reminder email out on the day
before, the script was checking if it was the 3rd Monday, and sending
the reminder email on that day. This was obviously flawed, as of course
this month the 1st fell on a Tuesday! The script has only gotten away
with it before now, because the last time Tuesday fell on the 1st was
May last year (i.e. before my script was born).

The script now correctly checks whether the following day is meeting
day, and it sends the reminder email accordingly.

Once again I apologise for this error, and for the avoidance of doubt,
THERE IS NO CARMARTHEN MEETING TOMORROW.

Regards,
Dafydd.