[SWLUG] Failed Raid 1

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Tue Jan 22 11:23:30 UTC 2008

On 22/01/2008, Alan Pope <alan at popey.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 10:48:32AM +0000, Hugh Saunders wrote:
> > My Parents have windows[1] installed on a RAID 1 (mirror)  volume.
> > The raid controller is built into the motherboard and presents the two
> > disks as a single volume to the operating system.
>
> Likely not "proper" hardware RAID but "fakeraid" software RAID mostly
> implemented as a Windows driver.

Not necessarily. My Windows box at home has onboard RAID controlled at
the BIOS level, IIRC. That was part of the reason I chose the
motherboard when I built it - I figured when I got round to upgrading
it I could use it as a file server with the amount of storage it could
handle. (Since then I've become obsessed with power consumption
though, and the 240W it sucks is a far cry from the 28W my current
server uses, so I'll probably never do that.)

Providing that's the case, so long as you can get the drive(s)
mounted, you should be able to recover something. If it is/was an XP
machine, it's 99% likely to be NTFS.

Steve