[SWLUG] Failed Raid 1

Christopher Mitchell cm at mitch-net.com
Tue Jan 22 19:04:43 UTC 2008

Hugh Saunders wrote:
> My Parents have windows[1] installed on a RAID 1 (mirror)  volume.
That's awfully around the houses. Why have the disks failed?

I work for a DR firm so I'll try to help you as much as poss.

Tools you will need

Get MHDD from here
http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2005.10.02-MHDD/   (Either Floppy
or MagicBoot CD)
Get R-Studio from all good places of "free" stuff (there's a windows AND
a linux version)

disconnect all other drives from your test computer except the last
working raid drive.
Boot MHDD and run a scan on that drive.

If the drive scans fine, then connect your boot drive and donor drive,
boot into your OS and run R-Studio.
Open up the raid drive
Recover to the donor drive.
done

If the drive has a lot of bad/slow sectors or clicks, you won't have
much luck with standard tools and may have to look into getting a DR
firm like mine to recover the data using a HW HDD interrogation machine
or replacing mechanical components. So try the above with the other
drive as well.