[SWLUG] Switching to a BT line. Effects?

Pete Phillips pete at smtl.co.uk
Wed Jun 25 11:11:00 UTC 2008

Afternoon all.

i'm enjoying this discussion about broadband and BT.

I live in Laleston, just outside Bridgend. According to asksam, i am
3.5km from the exchange.

Our line is BT, broadband provider is plus net.

Our netgear router keeps dropping the connection - sometimes a few times
a day, especially if raining! We can only get 1Mb broadband - when we
had it running at 2Mb, we had even more dropouts.

Would this be down to the distance from the exchange or down to the
terminals in a local junction box (interesting to note the comments
about the Treforest 5Mb line speed and BT replacing the connectors).

Plus Net said that it is down to distance or poor connections/cables,
and to get BT to investigate but BT are not interested - they do a line
test and say 'everything is working OK'.

I'd love to get up to 2Mb or more!  Any thoughts ?

Pete