[SWLUG] Decent cheap virtual server recommendations

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Sun Mar 16 13:28:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 12:43:24PM +0000, Neil Jones wrote:
> I am looking for a decent Virtual server running linux.

I have 3 with bitfolk <http://bitfolk.com/>. They are excellent value for
money (IMO) and provide a great service.

If you go with them, mention my name and I get a kickback (which I ask
bitfolk to donate direct to Free software projects on my behalf.

> I don't care what flavour of linux it runs as long as the following work
> out of the box from the start with the minimum of configuration.

I run Ubuntu on mine, but I know bitfolk support just about any distro you
care to mention (giving them a little time to get the image ready if it's
one they don't already have available). I have previously used Debian with
them.

> Bind/named
> Apache
> PHP
> Mysql
> CPAN-perl

With bitfolk you get a base system install, which if you use a decent distro
with a nice package manager you can install that lot in a minute or so.
Configuration shouldn't be too problematic, they have an irc channel
(#bitfolk in irc.blitzed.org) and a user mailing list for support.

> I just want something that works with the minimum of fuss.
> These are fairly standard things to want on a server so please can
> anyone recommend somewhere that doesn't cost the earth and provides a
> working service.

I'd gladly help you get the above products working on a base install of
Debian/Ubuntu/other deb based system if you go with bitfolk :)

Cheers,
Al.