[SWLUG] using ssh to talk to a server?

Justin Mitchell justin at discordia.org.uk
Fri May 2 10:35:39 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 10:54 +0100, Mark Summerfield wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to do this:
>
> Machine 192.168.1.2 (Fedora 8)
>     run a server on port 9876
>
> Machine 192.168.1.3 (Kubuntu 8)
>     talk to machine 192.168.1.2's server on port 9876.
>
> Both machines are running sshd.
>
> I've tried using ssh -R and -L but I can't get it to work and I just
> don't understand the ssh man page. Surely this is easy to do?

you dont quite say what kind of server is on port 9876

if the sshd on 1.2 is listening on port 9876 then
ssh -p 9876 192.168.1.2

if this gets any kind of connection refused then your sshd isnt
listening where you think it is. lsof or netstat can help you check what
ports a program is listening on.

if port 9876 is a service you wish to access from 1.3 through port
forwarding then

ssh 192.168.1.2 -L 9876:localhost:9876

will make port 9876 on 1.3 connect through to 1.2 for as long as the ssh
session remains open.