[SWLUG] Mounting a Samba NAS Disk

'o-Dzin Tridral tridral at gmail.com
Sun May 25 09:36:13 UTC 2008

Thank you for your reply!

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 11:50 AM, Hugh Saunders <hugh at mjr.org> wrote:

> Hello :)
>
> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 11:02 AM, 'o-Dzin Tridral <tridral at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I'm using OpenSuse 10.3 and apparently
> > this no longer supports the smbfs filesystem, so I'm attempting to use
> Cifs.
>
> > I have the following in smbfstab
>  username=<me>,password=<mine>
>
> Have you tried that in /etc/fstab? I'm not sure about opensuse, works
> in fstab in debian.

I've put this in /etc/fstab now.  If I use mount (as root), I get
mount error 5 = Input/output error
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

I can't find any useful reference as to the cause of the 'mount error 5'
problem.

> > All hints gratefully received!
> can you mount it with:

>From this I get 'mount error 5' again.

> This pdf seems to have some useful points:
> http://pserver.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/linux-cifs-client-guide.pdf

I'll go and read that!

<http://pserver.samba.org/samba/ftp/cifs-cvs/linux-cifs-client-guide.pdf>

> Does the drive run sshd? if it does, that would make your rsync
> backups much easier...

I don't think it does -  It just seems to know about FTP and SMB

Thank you for your advice.  If you have any ideas about 'mount error 5' I'd
appreciate it.

'o-Dzin

> --
> Hugh Saunders

'ö-Dzin Tridral
Caerdydd, Cymru
Achos pan ddaw y Pedwar Marchog i ofyn a roist ti o dy gyfan - fydd gen ti
ddim esgus - Meinir Gwilym