[SWLUG] Mounting a Samba NAS Disk

'o-Dzin Tridral tridral at gmail.com
Sat May 31 07:54:06 UTC 2008

Many thanks for your reply.

I have triedthe syntax as suggested and get the same error.  I used
STORAGE-AEC9 as the servername as that is the name that the device seems to
have in the web admin view.

I don't know whether it provides further clues, but this command works
smbclient -I <ip address> -W WORKGROUP //STORAGE-AEC9/<share>

I've also been recommended to try
echo 0 > /proc/fs/cifs/LinuxExtensionsEnabled

before the mount command, but this makes no difference either.

'o-Dzin

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 9:02 PM, Hugh Saunders <hugh at mjr.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 8:32 PM, 'o-Dzin Tridral <tridral at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >  I'm going to contact
> >  the drive manufacturer and find out more from them.
>
> Ask which version of samba they are using..
>
> After a quick google, it looks like one reason for mount error 5 is
> using a CIFS client to connect to an SMB share.
>
> I think CIFS can handle SMB but requires some extra parameters, did
> you try this syntax from the pdf?
> "mount -t cifs //tcp-name-of-server/sharename   /mnt -o
> user=username,sec=lanman,servern=SERVERNAME"
>
> --
> Hugh Saunders

'ö-Dzin Tridral
Caerdydd, Cymru
Achos pan ddaw y Pedwar Marchog i ofyn a roist ti o dy gyfan - fydd gen ti
ddim esgus - Meinir Gwilym