[SWLUG] Recommendations for ISP?

neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 11:18:37 UTC 2008

Can anyone recommend a decent ISP for an ordinary home user please?

I have been helping a family member set up a system and Demon Internet's support is abysmal. I don't like being lied to. The mickey mouse speedtouch modem they provide won't work with either Linux or the new Vista laptop. Several calls to Demon and we are no better off. The last time I was told that the speedtouch was broken and not under warranty. Funny how I am using it to sent this then!
We have a dynammode router but Dynamode's support isn't good. They are going to ring back . Quite possibly when I am not around to take the call. Since I live somewhere else. Demon's support told me at one point "Demon do not support Wista (sic)". Boy I am glad to use Linux!

What we are looking for is someone who will provide a router that works out of the  box with no fuss. Any ideas?

Neil Jones